Our Governing Document
We, the Utah County Democratic Party, united in common purpose, acknowledge that we are a party of enduring strength, and that we must lead, guided by those we lead. These principles are essential to the democracy our country’s founders forged.
We dedicate ourselves to seek individual freedom in the framework of a just society and to encourage and support all citizens to seek political freedom through meaningful participation in our country’s governance.
We believe that for a political party to be worthy of the responsibility the people place in it, that party must be responsive to the people; we also believe that a party that asks for the people’s trust must prove that it trusts the people. Bound by the Constitution of the United States of America and the Constitution of the State of Utah, we pledge ourselves to open, honest ideals in party governance and to elect Democrats to local, state, and national office who will best represent and carry out these principles.
We pledge ourselves to educate citizens about and enhance their understanding of the political process and of the Democratic Party. We also pledge to sustain the human and constitutional rights of all. A party that hopes to call for the best the Nation can achieve must embody the best of our common heritage and traditions. To achieve these goals, we establish this Constitution to guide and govern the Utah County Democratic Party.
Article 1 – Utah County Democratic Party
The Utah County Democratic Party shall:
- Nominate and assist in the election of Democratic Party candidates for public, elected office;
- Adopt and promote statements of policy;
- Establish standards and rules of procedure to provide all members of the Utah County Democratic Party full, timely, and equal opportunities to participate in decisions concerning the selection of candidates, the formulation of policy, and the conduct of other Utah County Democratic Party affairs, and to promote fair campaign practices and the fair adjudication of disputes;
- Raise and disburse monies needed for the successful operation of the Utah County Democratic Party;
- Work with Democratic public officials at all levels to achieve the objectives of the Utah County Democratic Party; and;
- Encourage and support codes of political ethics for public officials in state and local governments, to ensure that public officials shall at all times conduct themselves in a manner that reflects credibility upon the office they serve, and shall not use their office to gain special privileges and benefits, and shall refrain from acting in their official capacities when a conflict of interest arises that would affect their l independence of judgment,
The Utah County Democratic Party shall consist of:
- The members of the County Executive Committee, County Central Committee, and the Standing, Advisory, and Select Committees;
- The Senatorial, Legislative, and Precinct Officers, who reside within Utah County and who are elected to represent the Utah Democratic Party or Utah County Democratic Party;
- All citizens who are registered to vote in Utah and have designated themselves as affiliated with the Democratic Party.
Article 2 – County Primary Convention
In even numbered years, the County Chair, in the name of the County Executive Committee, shall conduct a County Primary Convention. The County Chair shall be the Convention Chair, unless other provisions have been made for a Convention Chair pro tempors.
The County Executive Committee shall issue the Official Convention Call to County Delegates not less than fourteen working days before the Convention is to convene. This call shall be issued either by mail or email to every County Delegate.
The term “candidate for public office” shall mean any person who has established substantial support for their nomination as the Democratic candidate for the public office either through substantial support of the delegates at the primary convention or through a nomination petition as provided by applicable state law. This person is a bona fide Democrat who shall have the interests, welfare, and success of the Utah County Democratic Party at heart and will participate in the Convention in good faith. The County Central Committee shall have the authority to deny a person who has filed for office with the State of Utah or County Clerk the status of “candidate for public office” on the grounds of this section by a 90% vote of the members present at a regular or special meeting. At the discretion of the Executive Committee, the party may provide support to an unaffiliated candidate in cases where no Democratic candidate is on the ballot.
The Convention may nominate one candidate for each vacancy in the offices of County Commissioner, County Attorney, County Clerk, County Sheriff, and other elections that take place within Utah County, provided the office is open to election.